Name: Pan LIU
Title: Associate Professor
Office: SMSE building A, Room 105
Platform: Institute of phase change and structure
I have made original and seminal contributions to the application of advanced electron microscopy to materials science. My research primarily aims to investigate the correlations of microstructure and the physical chemistry properties of low dimensional metals, catalyst, energy materials. Particular interest goes to nanostructured metals, nanoporous metals and sodium-ion batteries. I have (co)authored over 70 peer reviewed journal articles (Nat. Commun. (9), Adv. Mater. (10), Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. (8)), and held 12 national and international authorized patents. From SCI data base “Web of Science”, the entire publications have been cited for over 3200 times with an h-index of 31.
The unaccomplished current research focuses on the correlations of microstructure and properties of nanoporous metals (NPMs), nanostructured metals and battery electrode materials by utilizing the Cs-corrected/in situ TEM.
2016.10 - present: School of Materials Science and Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200240, China
Tenure-Track Associate Professor
2012.08 - 2016.09: WPI Advanced Institute for Materials Research, Tohoku University, Sendai 980-8577, Japan
2006.09 - 2012.07: Institute of Microstructure and Properties of Advanced Materials, Beijing University of Technology, Beijing, 100124, China
Ph. D., Condensed matter physics
2002.09 - 2006.07: Department of Electronic Science and Technology, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, 430074, China
B. E., Electronic Science and Technology
(*Corresponding author) (#Co-first author)
1. 1. Pan Liu*, Xiao Wei*, Shuangxi Song, Lihua Wang, Akihiko Hirata, Takeshi Fujita, Xiaodong Han, Ze Zhang, Mingwei Chen*. “Time-resolved atomic-scale observations of deformation and fracture of nanoporous gold under tension”, Acta Materialia. 165 (2019) 99-108.
2. 2. Yuqiang Fang, Xiaozong Hu, Wei Zhao, Jie Pan, Dong Wang, Kejun Bu, Yuanlv Mao, Shufen Chu, Pan Liu*, Tianyou Zhai*, Fuqiang Huang*. “Structural Determination and Nonlinear Optical Properties of New 1T‴-Type MoS2 Compound”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., DOI: 10.1021/jacs.8b12133 (2019).
3. 3. Chen Hou, Jiuhui Han, Pan Liu*, Chuchu Yang, Gang Huang, Takeshi Fujita, Akihiko Hirata, Mingwei Chen*. “Operando observations of RuO2 catalyzed Li2O2 formation and decomposition in a Li-O2 micro-battery”, Nano Energy. 47 (2018) 427-433.
4. 4. Shanhua Guo, Qi Li, Pan Liu*, Mingwei Chen, Haoshen Zhou*. “Environmentally Stable Interface of Layered Oxide Cathodes for Sodium-Ion Batteries”, Nature Communications. 8 (2017) 135.
5. 5. Pan Liu#, Pengfei Guan#, Akihiko Hirata, Lin Zhang, Luyang Chen, Yuren Wen, Yi Ding, Takeshi Fujita, Jonah Erlebacher, Mingwei Chen. “Visualizing under-coordinated surface atoms on three-dimensional nanoporous gold catalysts”, Advanced Materials. 28 (2016) 1753-1759.
6. 6. Shanhua Guo, Yang Sun, Jin Yi, Kai Zhu, Pan Liu*, Yanbei Zhu, Guo-Zhen Zhu, Mingwei Chen, Masayoshi Ishida, Haoshen Zhou*. “Understanding sodium-ion diffusion in layered P2 and P3 oxides via experiments and first-principles calculations: a bridge between crystal structure and electrochemical performance”, NPG Asia Materials (2016) 8, e266;
7. 7. Shanhua Guo#, Pan Liu#, Haijun Yu, Yanbei Zhu, Mingwei Chen, Masayoshi Ishida, Haoshen Zhou. A Layered P2- and O3-Type Composite as a High-Energy Cathode for Rechargeable Sodium-Ion Batteries, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 54 (2015) 5894-5899.
8. 8. Chuchu Yang#, Jiuhui Han#, Pan Liu#, Chen Hou, Gang Huang, Takeshi Fujita, Akihiko Hirata, Mingwei Chen*. “Direct Observations of the Formation and Redox-Mediator-Assisted Decomposition of Li2O2 in a Liquid-Cell Li–O2 Microbattery by Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy”. Advanced Materials. 29 (2017) 1702752.
9. 9. Lihua Wang#, Jiao Teng#, Pan Liu#, Akihiko Hirata, Evan Ma, Ze Zhang, Mingwei Chen*, Xiaodong Han*. “Grain rotation mediated by grain boundary dislocations in nanocrystalline platinum”, Nature Communications. 5 (2014) 5402.
10. 10. Lihua Wang#, Pan Liu#, Pengfei Guan#, Mingjie Yang, Jialin Sun, Yongqiang Cheng, Akihiko Hirata, Ze Zhang, Evan Ma, Mingwei Chen. Xiaodong Han. “In situ atomic-scale observation of continuous and reversible lattice deformation beyond the elastic limit”, Nature Communications. 4 (2013) 2413.
11. 11. Pan Liu, Kui Du, Jianxin Zhang, Lihua Wang, Yonghai Yue, Evan Ma, Yuefei Zhang, Ze Zhang, Mingwei Chen, Xiaodong Han*. Screw-rotation twinning through helical movement of triple-partials. Appl. Phys. Lett. 101 (2012) 121901.
12. 12. Pan Liu, Shengcheng Mao, Lihua Wang, Xiaodong Han*, Ze Zhang*. Direct Dynamic Atomic Mechanisms of Strain-Induced Grain Rotation in Nanocrystalline, Textured, Columnar-Structured Thin Gold Films. Scripta. Mater. 64 (2011), 343-346.
Honors & Awards
· “Shanghai Eastern Scholar”, Shanghai Municipal Commission of Education, 2018
· “Shanghai Pujiang Program”, Shanghai Science and Technology Committee, 2017
· “Research on the microscopic mechanism of elastic-plastic behavior”, Beijing Science and Technology Award, The First Prize by People's Government of Beijing Municipality, 2016.