SJTU 2019 Undergraduate Engineering Cluster Program in English for International Students
Founded in 1896, Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) is one of the internationally recognized, top-tier research universities in China, with strong commitment to nurturing future leaders with innovative drives and global visions. The Engineering Cluster Program is a new undergraduate international program designed to combine the strengths of engineering-related fields at SJTU. Offering all major courses in English or French, the Cluster Program welcomes prospective students with an interest in engineering studies from all over the world.
The SJTU Undergraduate Engineering Cluster program in English includes:
- The University of Michigan-Shanghai Jiao Tong University (UM-SJTU) Joint Institute (JI)
- The School of Materials Science and Engineering
- The School of Electronic, Information and Electrical Engineering, Information Engineering
- The School of Naval Architecture, Ocean and Civil Engineering
- The School of Mechanical Engineering
The Cluster Program covers various engineering-related disciplines such as:
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Computer Science and Technology
- Information Engineering
- Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering
- Power and Energy Engineering
- And more
Cluster students will take introductory engineering courses in the first 1.5 years at the UM-SJTU Joint Institute. After meeting this requirement, Cluster students may choose to continue their studies at the UM-SJTU Joint Institute or transfer to another engineering school (in English or Chinese) to complete their bachelor’s degree.
Reminder: Although all Cluster courses are taught in English, Cluster students are required to take Chinese culture and language courses while enrolling in their respective degree programs. All Cluster students are expected to meet HSK 4 (Chinese Language Test) as the minimal Chinese language requirement for graduation. Exceptions include Cluster students enrolling in the UM-SJTU Dual Degree Program, JI-KTH 3+2 Bachelor’s Program, or other international programs.
Application Deadlines for 2019 Admission
· Early Admission – November 15, 2018 (Beijing Time, GMT+8)
· Regular Application – April 30, 2019 (Beijing Time, GMT+8)
1. Non-Chinese, foreign passport holders with senior high school diploma (or equivalent);
2. Applicants of mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan origins who have migrated to other countries should check their eligibility as explained in “Document No. 83 (2009) of Ministry of Education of the PRC .pdf”
1. Test Scores
- SAT (JI code: 6563)
- ACT (JI code: 6983)
- IB (International Baccalaureate)
- National Exam Scores, such as Malaysia National Exam Scores or others
- TOEFL (iBT) (JI code: 6210) for non-native speakers of English
- IELTS for non-native speakers of English
- Two recommendation letters are required: one from the applicant’s high school counselor and one from a teacher
3. High School Transcripts
- Special attention is given to mathematics, physics, chemistry and other related subjects. Applicants should arrange to have copies of their official transcripts in English sent to SJTU from the high school(s) they attended.
4. Personal Statement
English Proficiency Requirement
· TOEFL (iBT) – 84 or above
· IELTS – 6 or above
· Exceptions may be granted if:
- Your SAT critical reading score is 600 or higher
- Both of your ACT reading and English scores are 27 or higher
- You have recently completed at least four years of rigorous academic study in any of the following countries: Anguila, Antigua, Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada (except Quebec), Cayman Islands, Dominica, England, Federated States of Micronesia, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Montserrat, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Seychelles, Shetland Islands, St. Kitts-Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, United States (other than Puerto Rico), US Virgin Islands, Wales.
· Outstanding students will be awarded scholarships, such as Chinese Government Scholarship, Shanghai Government Scholarship, Teaching Assistantship, and others.
· Applicants for Chinese Government Scholarship should directly contact the local Chinese Embassy or Consulate. When completing the scholarship application form, applicants should select Shanghai Jiaotong University as their first choice.
· Applicants for SJTU scholarships are eligible for the ones listed below:
Application Fee：75 USD（nonrefundable）
Tuition: 80,000 CNY per year
· In early September 2019 (the exact date will be specified in the admission letter)
SJTU Undergraduate Admission Office of International Student
Address: Room 100A, New Administration Building B, 800 Dongchuan Rd, Shanghai, China
Post code: 200240