Name: Xiuying QIAO
Title: Associate Professor
Office: Room437, Material Building D
Platform: Institute of Composite Materials
Design, processing, structure, property and application of biodegradable, biomedical, functional, smart and high-performance polymer materials, polymer composites and polymer nanocomposites...
Dr. Xiuying Qiao is Member of American Society of Rheology and Chinese Chemical Society. Dr. Qiao graduated from Changchun Institute of Applied Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences in July 2001 with a Ph.D. degree in Polymer Chemistry and Physics. After that, she came to Shanghai Jiao Tong University as a postdoctor fellow in School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, and became a Lecturer in April 2003 and then an Associate Professor in August 2005 in School of Materials Science and Engineering of Shanghai Jiao Tong University. Up to now, Dr. Qiao has worked in Kyoto University (Japan) as a research fellow (2005.12-2007.3), University of Wollongong (Australia) as a visiting senior fellow (2010.6-2010.8), Stanford University (USA) as a visiting scholar (2010.10-2010.11) and The University of Akron (USA) as a postdoctoral fellow (2011.5-2012.7). Her research experience is closely related to the fundamental and applied research work about the rheology and molecular dynamics, interfacial stabilization and functionalization of emulsions, and the design, processing, structure, property and application of biodegradable, biomedical, functional, smart and high-performance polymer and polymer composites. Until now, Dr. Qiao has been responsible to nearly 20 research projects from the government and industry, and published 63 articles in journals (44 SCI cited articles), 28 abstracts in academic conferences (19 oral presentations) and 20 Chinese patents (10 authorized patents). In addition, Dr. Qiao is also appointed as reviewer for some important foreign and domestic academic journals such as “Langmuir”, “Carbohydrate Polymers”, “Journal of Applied Polymer Science” and etc.
(1) Design, processing, structure, property and application of biodegradable, biomedical, functional, smart and high-performance polymer materials, polymer composites and polymer nanocomposites
(2) Stability, functionalization and interfacial stabilization mechanism investigations of emulsions
(3) Rheology and molecular dynamics of polymer materials, emulsions, colloids and suspensions, including usual rheology, interfacial rheology and magnetorheology
(1) X.Y. Qiao*, X.S. Lu, W.H. Li, J. Chen, X.L. Gong, T. Yang, W. Li, K. Sun, X.D. Chen, “Microstructure and magnetorheological properties of the thermoplastic magnetorheological elastomer composites containing modified carbonyl iron particles and poly(styrene-b-ethylene-ethylenepropylene-b-styrene) matrix”, Smart Materials and Structures, 2012, 21, 115028. (featured article)
(2) X.Y. Qiao*, J. Zhou, B.P. Binks*, X.L. Gong, K. Sun, “Magnetorheological behaviour of Pickering emulsions stabilized by surface-modified Fe3O4 nanoparticles”. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 2012, 2012, 412, 20-28.
(3) L.J. Wang, H.E. Xie, X.Y. Qiao*, A. Goffin, T. Hodgkinson, X.F. Yuan, K. Sun, G.G. Fuller, “Interfacial rheology of natural silk fibroin at air/water and oil/water interfaces”, Langmuir, 2012, 28(1), 459-467.
(4) J. Zhou, X.Y. Qiao*, B.P. Binks*, K. Sun, M.W. Bai, Y.L. Li, Y. Liu, "Magnetic Pickering emulsions stabilized by Fe3O4 nanoparticles, Langmuir, 2011, 27, 3308-3316.
(5) X.Y. Qiao*, Z.Z. Tang, K. Sun, “Plasticization of corn starch by polyol mixtures”，Carbohydrate Polymers, 2011, 83, 659-664
(6) X.Y. Qiao*, W. Li, K. Sun, X.D. Chen, “Effect of electron beam irradiation on the crystallization of silk fibroin fiber-reinforced poly (-caprolactone) biocomposites”, Polymer International, 2010, 59(4), 447-455.
(7) X.Y. Qiao*, W. Li, H. Watanabe, K. Sun, X.D. Chen, “Rheological behavior of biocomposites of silk fibroin fiber and poly (ε-caprolactone): Effect of fiber network”，Journal of Polymer Science: Part B: Polymer Physics, 2009, 47, 1957-1970. (cover page article)
(8) X.Y. Qiao, W.X. Zhong, K. Sun*, X.D. Chen, “Effects of clay contents on the dynamic mechanical and rheological properties of polypropylene/MAH-g-POE/clay composites”, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2009, 114(3), 1702-1709.
(9) X.Y. Qiao, T. Sawada, Y. Matsumiya, H. Watanabe*, “Constraint release in moderately entangled monodisperse star polyisoprene systems”, Macromolecules, 2006, 39(21), 7333-7341.
(10) X.Y. Qiao, Y. Zhang*, Y.X. Zhang, Y.T. Zhu, “Ink-eliminated waste paper sludge flour-filled polypropylene composites with different coupling agent treatments”, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2003, 89(2), 513-520.
Research Projects(1) “The smart thermoplastic magnetorheological elastomer shock absorber device”, Ministry of Railways of China, 2011.6-2012.12
(2) “Interfacial rheology investigations of magnetic Pickering emulsions”, National Natural Science Foundation of China, 2009.1-2011.12
(3) “Preparation and investigations of reinforced poly(-caprolactone) porous scaffold materials”, State Education Ministry of China, 2009.1-2009.12
(4) “Preparation and investigations of bioactive fiber reinforced composites”, Science and Technology Commission of Shanghai Municipality, 2003.11-2005.12
(5) “Fully biodegradable starch based composite film”, Science and Technology Commission of Shanghai Municipality, 2005.8-2007.12
(6) “Investigations of the structures and properties of ink-eliminated paper sludge/polypropylene composites”, Science and Technology Commission of Shanghai Municipality, 2001.10-2003.4
(7) “Investigations of the rheology behaviors of environmental friendly non-halogen flame retardant Nylon 66 composites”, Science and Technology Commission of Minhang District in Shanghai, 2008.12-2010.11
(8) “Thermoplastic magnetorheological elastomers”, Science and Technology Commission of Minhang District in Shanghai, 2009.9-2011.8
Honors & Awards
(1) 2008 Special Research Fund for Excellent Young University Faculty, Shanghai Municipal Education Commission
(2) 2008 Chen Xing Young Scholar Award Program, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
(3) 2006 21st Century Centers of Excellence Program, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
(4) 2004 Third-Class Postdoctor Award Fundation, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
(5) 2001 P&G Award, Chinese Academy of Sciences
(6) 2001 First-Class Scholarship for Excellent Doctors, Changchun Institute of Applied Chemistry