Name: Xiaoqi CHEN
Title: Chair Professor
Office: Room 415, Material Building F
Tel: +86 21 164 9279
Platform: Intelligent Welding and Precision Manufacturing Research Institute
XiaoQi Chen obtained his B.Eng. in Mechanical Engineering from South China University of Technology (1984), M.Sc. in Materials Science, Brunel University (1986), and Ph.D. in Robotics, Liverpool University (1989). He is Elected Fellow (2015- ), Society of Manufacturing Engineers, USA; Elected Fellow, Engineering New Zealand (2014- ). He was Professor and Foundation Director of Mechatronics Engineering Program, University of Canterbury (2006-2019). Prior to that, he was Senior Scientist and Technical Manager, Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology (1992-2006); Adjunct Associate Professor, National University of Singapore (1998-2006); Research Fellow, Brunel University (1990-1992) and Durham University (1989-1990).
XiaoQi is a strong advocate for translating fundamental and applied research into industrial applications. His team received Singapore National Technology Award (1999) for their work on Maintenance Repair and Overhaul (MRO) of high pressure turbines. He was awarded New Zealand Forest Owners Association Award (2015) for the development of forest harvest robot. His novel work on untethered wall climbing robot span off Invert Robotics Ltd that won New Zealand Hi-Tech Start-Up Excellence Award (2012). He has more than 400 publications, 10 patents, and authored and edited 4 books. He has delivered over 100 invited keynote addresses and seminars.
Xiaoqi’s research focuses on fundamental studies into material removal mechanism and microstructural and phase transformation in conforming grinding and polishing; AI-based adaptive materials processing additive manufacturing, welding and subtractive manufacturing; re-manufacturing of high value components, assistive and rehabilitative robotics, industrial IOT and autonomous systems.
1. Asgari, H., Chen, X.Q., (2016), “Gas Turbines Modeling, Simulation, and Control: Using Artificial Neural Networks”, CRC Press, Boca Raton, USA, ISBN 9781498726610 - CAT# K25838, 216pp, 2016. DOI: 10.1201/b18956
2. Tarn, T.-J., Chen S.B., Chen, X.Q. (2015), “Robotic Welding, Intelligence and Automation”, Advances in Intelligent System, Computing, Vol. 363, Springer Verlag, ISBN 978-3-319-18997-0, 640p, https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319189963 DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-18997-0
3. Chen, X.Q., Chen Y.Q., Chase, J.G. (2009), Mobile Robots - State of the Art in Land, Sea, Air, Collaborative Missions, ISBN 978-953-307-001-8, I-Tech Education and Publishing, Vienna, Austria, 335 pages, May 2009, https://www.intechopen.com/books/mobile-robots-state-of-the-art-in-land-sea-air-and-collaborative-missions DOI: 10.5772/120
4. Chen, X.Q., Devanathan, R. & Fong, A.M. (2002), Advanced Automation Techniques in Adaptive Material Processing, ISBN 981-02-4902-0, World Scientific, Singapore, 302 pages, 2002. doi.org/10.1142/4919
Peer Reviewed Book Chapters (since 2015)
1. S.F. Masoomi, X.Q. Chen, S. Gutschmidt, M. Sellier (2019) “Novel Swimming Mechanism for a Robotic Fish”, Rapid Automation: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, IGI Global, Chapter 8, pp.141-163. https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-5225-8060-7.ch008
2. Su, Y., Chen, X.Q. (2019), "Applications of Virtual Reality Based Intelligent Teleoperation", Mechatronic Systems: Design, Performance and Applications, Nova Publishers, Editor: Mohamed Arezki Mellal (Editor), ISBN: 978-1-53614-530-4. https://novapublishers.com/shop/mechatronic-systems-design-performance-and-applications/
3. Stewart, A., Pretty, C., Adams, M., Chen, X.Q. (2018), “Hybrid Exoskeletons for Upper Limb Stroke Rehabilitation”, Handbook of Research on Biomimetics and Biomedical Robotics, Editor: Maki Habib, ISBN13: 9781522529934, pp.76-98. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-2993-4.ch004
4. Koopaee, M. J., Gilani, C., Scott, C., Chen, X.Q. (2017), “Bio Inspired Snake Robots: Design, Modelling and Control”, Handbook of Research on Biomimetics and Biomedical Robotics, Editor: Maki Habib, ISBN13: 9781522529934, pp. 246-275. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-2993-4.ch011
5. Salah, K., Chen, X.Q. (2017), "Cooperative Robotic Systems in Agriculture", Robotics and Mechatronics for Agriculture, Editors: Dan Zhang & Bin Wei, ISBN13 9781138702400, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Ltd, pp. 131-156. https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/e/9781351788618/chapters/10.1201%2F9781315203638-6 DOI: 10.1201/9781315203638-6
6. Chang Y., Chen, X.Q. (2015), "Design of a Scalable Wall Climbing Robot for Inter-Plane Traversing", Robotic Welding, Intelligence and Automation, Advances in Intelligent System, Computing, Vol. 363, Springer Verlag, Editors: Tarn, T.-J., Chen S.B., Chen, X.Q., ISBN 978-3-319-18997-0, pp.145-158. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-18997-0_12
7. Masoomi, S.F., Chen, X.Q., Gutschmidt, S., Sellier, M. (2015) "State of The Art in Biomimetic Swimming Robots: Design Principles and Case Study", Handbook of Research on Advancements in Robotics and Mechatronics, IGI Global, ed. Maki K. Habib, 118-152 (2015). doi:10.4018/978-1-4666-7387-8.ch006
Refereed Journal Papers (since 2015)
1. Kai Tao, Xiangfei Wang, Yifeng Xu, Jing Liu, Xuefeng Song, Chaopeng Fu, Xiaoqi Chen, Xingzhou Qu, Xiaofeng Zhao, Lian Gao (2020) “Engineering Defect-Enabled 3D Porous MoS2/C Architectures for High Performance Lithium-Ion Batteries”, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jace.17082
2. Xiangfei Wang, Xiaoqiang Zhang, Lufeng Li, Hengjian Feng, Xukai Ren, Yanbing He, Huabin Chen*, Xiaoqi Chen* (2020) “Point cloud 3D parent surface reconstruction and weld seam feature extraction for robotic grinding path planning”, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing volume 107, pages827–841(2020), https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-020-04947-1
3. Lei Shao, Longyu Zhang, Abdelkader Nasreddine Belkacem, Yiming Zhang, Xiaoqi Chen, Ji Li, and Hongli Liu (2020), "EEG-Controlled Wall-Crawling Cleaning Robot Using SSVEP-Based Brain-Computer Interface," Journal of Healthcare Engineering, vol. 2020, Article ID 6968713, 11 pages, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/6968713
4. Wang, Shuai; Wei, Xiao; Xu, Jijin; Hong, Jie; Song, Xuefeng; Yu, Chun; Chen, Junmei; Chen, Xiaoqi; Lu, Hao (2020), “Strengthening and toughening mechanisms in refilled friction stir spot welding of AA2014 aluminum alloy reinforced by graphene nanosheets”, Materials and Design, 186 (2020) 108212, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2019.108212
5. Mohammadali Javaheri Koopaee, Christopher Pretty, Koen Classens, XiaoQi Chen (2020), “Dynamical Modeling and Control of Modular Snake Robots With Series Elastic Actuators for Pedal Wave Locomotion on Uneven Terrain”, J. Mech. Des. Mar 2020, 142(3): 032301 (11 pages), https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4044691 , Published Online: November 1, 2019
6. Ashley M. Stewart, Christopher G. Pretty, XiaoQi Chen (2019) “A portable assist-as-need upper-extremity hybrid exoskeleton for FES-induced muscle fatigue reduction in stroke rehabilitation，BMC Biomedical Engineering (2019) 1:30, https://doi.org/10.1186/s42490-019-0028-6
7. X Ren, B Soulard, J Wang, Y Xu, X Chen (2019), “Thermal Analysis of Belt Grinding Process of Nickel-Based Superalloy Inconel 718”, Transactions on Intelligent Welding Manufacturing, pp. 57-74. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-8668-8_3
8. Ashley M. Stewart, Christopher G. Pretty, XiaoQi Chen (2019) “An investigation into the effect of electrode type and stimulation parameters on FES-induced dynamic movement in the presence of muscle fatigue for a voltage-controlled stimulator”, IFAC Journal of Systems and Control, 8 (2019) 100043, 17p, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifacsc.2019.100043
9. Xiaoqiang Zhang, Huabin Chen*, Luming Xu a, Jijin Xu a, Xukai Rena, Xiaoqi Chen* (2019) “Cracking mechanism and susceptibility of laser melting deposited Inconel 738 superalloy”, Materials & Design, Materials and Design 183 (2019) 108105, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2019.108105 , 14p.
10. Kaiyuan Gao, Huabin Chen*, Xiaoqiang Zhang, XuKai Ren, Junqi Chen, Xiaoqi Chen* (2019), “A novel material removal prediction method based on acoustic sensing and ensemble XGBoost learning algorithm for robotic belt grinding of Inconel 718”, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-019-04170-7
11. Koopaee, M.J., Bal, S., Pretty, C., Chen, X. (2019) “Design and Development of a Wheel-less Snake Robot with Active Stiffness Control for Adaptive Pedal Wave Locomotion”, Journal of Bionic Engineering, DOI: 10.1007/s42235-019-0048-x
12. Young, M., Pretty, C., Agostinho, S., Green, R., Chen, X. (2019) “Loss of Significance and its Effect on Point Normal Orientation and Cloud Registration”, Remote Sensing, DOI: 10.3390/rs11111329, 18p.
13. Shao, L., Pan, Y., Li, J., Liu, H., Chen, X., Yu, X., (2019) Steam piping infrared image segmentation with trend coefficients algorithm. International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping 170 : 49-58. doi: 10.1016/j.ijpvp.2019.01.010
14. Wang, J., Xu, J., Wang, X., Zhang, X., Song, X., Chen, X.*, (2018) A comprehensive study on surface integrity of nickel-based superalloy Inconel 718 under robotic belt grinding. Materials and Manufacturing Processes 34 (1): 61-69. doi: 10.1080/10426914.2018.1512137
15. Hua, C., Lu, H., Yu, C., Li, D., Chen, X., (2018) “Probing Laves phase formation in Ni-alloy during ultrasonic arc-welding with atomistic modelling”. Science and Technology of Welding and Joining 24 (4): 305-312. doi: 10.1080/13621718.2018.1534036
16. Wang, J., Xu*, J., Zhang, X., Ren, X., Song, X., Chen, X.Q.* (2018) “An Investigation of Surface Corrosion Behavior of Inconel 718 after Robotic Belt Grinding”, Materials, ISSN 1996-1944, 2018, 11, 2440; doi:10.3390/ma11122440, 14p
17. Shao, L., Zhou, X., Li, J., Liu, H., Chen, X.Q. (2018) “Microgrids as Flexible and Network-Connected Grid Assets in Active Distribution Systems”, Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 2018, Article ID 6079617, 7p., DOI: 10.1155/2018/6079617
18. Sharifi, M., Chen, X.Q., Pretty, C., Clucas, D., Cabon-Lunel, E. (2018), “Modelling and Simulation of a Non-Holonomic Omnidirectional Mobile Robot for Offline Programming and System Performance Analysis”, Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory，Volume 87, pp. 155-169, DOI: 10.1016/j.simpat.2018.06.005.
19. Chen., J., Chen, H., Xu, J., Wang, J, Zhang, X., Chen, X.Q.* (2018) “Acoustic signal based tool condition monitoring in belt grinding of nickel-based superalloys using RF classifier and MLR algorithm”, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, DOI: 10.1007/s00170-018-2270-9
20. Zhang, X., Chen, H.*, Xu, J., Song, X., Wang, J, Chen, X.Q.* (2018) “A novel sound-based belt condition monitoring method for robotic grinding using Optimally Pruned Extreme Learning Machine”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 260 (2018) pp. 9-19, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2018.05.013
21. Le, J., Zhang, H., Chen, X.Q. (2018), “Realization of rectangular fillet weld tracking based on rotating arc sensors and analysis of experimental results in gas metal arc welding”, Robotics and Computer–Integrated Manufacturing, 49 (2018), pp. 263–276. DOI: 10.1016/j.rcim.2017.06.004
22. Paulin, S., Botterill, T., Chen, X.Q., Green, R. (2017) “Finding shorter paths for robot arms using their redundancy”, arXiv: 1708.06067
23. Paulin, S., Botterill, T., Chen, X.Q., Green, R. (2017) “Integrating asymptotically-optimal path planning with local optimization”, arXiv:1708.06056v1
24. Rahmoune M.B., Hafaifai A., Abdellah, K., Chen, X.Q. (2017) “Monitoring of high-speed shaft of gas turbine using artificial neural networks: predictive model application”, Diagnostyka, ISSN 1641-6414, 2017; 18(4), pp. 3-10.
25. Le, J., Zhang, H., Chen, X.Q., Xiong G, (2017) “Rectangular fillet weld tracking by robots based on rotating arc sensors in gas metal arc welding”, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, November 2017, Volume 93, Issue 5–8, pp. 2813–2826, DOI 10.1007/s00170-017-0633-2.
26. Le, J., Zhang, H., Chen, X.Q. (2017), “Right-angle fillet weld tracking by robots based on rotating arc sensors in GMAW”, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, October 2017, Volume 93, Issue 1–4, pp 605–616, DOI 10.1007/s00170-017-0536-2.
27. Le, J., Zhang, H., Chen, X.Q., Liu, C. (2017), “Identification of the space posture of arc welding guns with rotational arc sensors in GMAW”, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, ISSN 0268-3768, 92(9-12), pp.3447-3459, DOI 10.1007/s00170-017-0416-9.
28. Milne, B.J.E., Hann, C.E., Chen, X.Q.* (2017) “The alpha-invariant: An Energy Based non-Linear Minimal Damping Model for Robotic Joints with Friction”, Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics 12(4), 041011 (Jan 25, 2017) (10 p), doi:10.1115/1.4035192.
29. Asgari, H., Chen, X.Q., Jegarkandi, M.F., Sainudiin, R. (2017) "Design of conventional and neural network based controllers for a single-shaft gas turbine", Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, Vol. 89 Issue: 1, pp.52-65, https://doi.org/10.1108/AEAT-11-2014-0187
30. Botterill, Tom ; Paulin, Scott ; Green, Richard ; Williams, Samuel ; Lin, Jessica ; Saxton, Valerie ; Mills, Steven ; Chen, XiaoQi ; Corbett-Davies, Sam (2017), “A robot system for pruning grape vines”, Journal of Field Robotics, Vol. 34, no. 6 (Sep 2017), pp. 1100-1122. https://doi.org/10.1002/rob.21680
31. Liu, Liang ; Yang, Changqi ; Ni, Jiaming ; Chen, Huabin ; Chen, Xiaoqi ; Chen, Shanben (2016) Recognition method research for variable polarity TIG welding penetration state of 2219 aluminium alloy, Shanghai Jiaotong Daxue Xuebao/Journal of Shanghai Jiaotong University, Vol. 50 (Jul 2016), pp. 71-74. DOI: 10.16183/j.cnki.jsjtu.2016.S.018
32. Sharifi, M., Young, M.S., Chen, X.Q., Clucas, D., Pretty C. (2016) “Mechatronic design and development of a non-holonomic omnidirectional mobile robot for automation of primary production”, Cogent Engineering, 13p, DOI:10.1080/23311916.2016.1250431
33. Liu L, Yang C, Ni J, Chen H, Chen X.Q., Chen S (2016) “Recognition Method Research for Variable Polarity TIG Welding Penetration State of 2219 Aluminium Alloy”, Journal of Shanghai Jiaotong University 50:71-74. DOI: 10.16183/j.cnki.jsjtu.2016.S.018
34. Bryson, H., Sueltrop, H.P., Buchanan, G., Hann, C *, Snowdon, M., Rao, A., Slee, A., Fanning, K., Wright, D., McVicar, J., Clark, B., Harris, G., Chen, X.Q. (2016) “Vertical Wind Tunnel for Prediction of Rocket Flight Dynamics”, ISSN 2226-4310, MDPI. Aerospace 2016, 3(2); doi: 10.3390/aerospace3020010, pp. 91-117
35. Asgari, H., Chen, X.Q., Morini, M., Pinelli, M., Sainudiin, R., Spina, P.R., Venturini, M. (2016) “NARX models for simulation of the start-up operation of a single-shaft gas turbine”, Applied Thermal Engineering, ISSN: 1359-4311, DOI: 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2015.09.074, pp. 368-376.
36. Meaclem, C.V., Chen, X.Q., Gutschmidt, S., Hann, C., Parker, R. (2015) “K-means Partitioned Space Path Planning (KPSPP) for autonomous robotic harvesting”, International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems, ISSN 1729-8806, 2015, 12:165. DOI: 10.5772/61816
37. Masooni, S.F., Gutschmidt, S., Chen, X.Q. and Sellier, M. (2015) “Design and Construction of a Specialised Biomimetic Robot in Multiple Swimming Gaits”. International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems 12(168): 12pp. http://dx.doi.org/10.5772/60547
38. Buchanan, G., Wright, D., Hann, C., Bryson, H., Snowdon, M., Rao, A., Slee, A., Sültrop, H.P., Jochle-Rings, B., Barker, Z., McKinstry, A., Meffan, C., Xian, G., Mitchell, R. and Chen, X.Q. (2015) “The Development of Rocketry Capability in New Zealand - World Record Rocket and First of Its Kind Rocketry Course”, Aerospace, Special Issue: Driving Forward Aerospace Innovation, 2015, 2, pp. 91-117; ISSN 2226-4310, doi:10.3390/aerospace2010091.
39. Masoomi, S.F., Gutschmidt, S., Chen, X.Q., Sellier, M (2015) "The Kinematics and Dynamics of Undulatory Motion of a Tuna-Mimetic Robot", International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems, 12:83, pp.1-11, DOI: 10.5772/60059.
· Intelligent Stir Friction Welding Technology and Key Equipment for Light Weight Alloys. Funding: Guangzhou Risong Intelligent Technology Holding Co. Ltd., Guangzhou. (2018-2021)
· Rapidly deployable robotics technology for advanced materials processing. Funding: Guangzhou Risong Intelligent Technology Holding Co. Ltd., Guangzhou Economic Development Zone. (2017-2022)
· Lead-Through Intuitive Teleoperation of Robotic System in constrained operating space Funding: Chinese Scholarship Council. (2016 – 2020)
· Automating Quality Control Mapping using an Unmanned Ground Vehicle, Funding: Callaghan Innovation, Trimble Navigation. (2016-2019)
· Obstacle-Assisted Locomotion of Snake Robot. Funding: University of Canterbury Doctoral Scholarship (2016-2019)
· Reliable Multi-Agents Cooperative Hybrid Control System Framework for Agricultural Transportation Application. Funding: University of Canterbury Premier Scholarship. (2015-2018)
· Modelling, Simulation and Control of Gas Turbines Using Artificial Neural Networks. Funding: University of Canterbury Premier Scholarship. (2015-2018)
· Power Assistive Exoskeleton. Funding: Kiwi Innovation Network. (2012-2013)
· Powerchair Stability on Steep Terrains. Funding: Dynamic Controls Limited. (2012 to 2013)
· Innovative Harvest Solutions. Funding: Primary Growth Partnership Program, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry. (2011 to 2016)
· Vision based automated pruning. Funding: Ministry of Science and Innovation. (2011 to 2015)
· UAV for Electricity Distribution Network Condition Assessment. Funding: FRST TechNZ Capability Funding, Unison Networks Limited. (2010-2011)
· Navigation System for Wheeled Robots. Funding: FRST TechNZ Capability Funding, Dynamic Controls Limited, (2010 to 2011)
· Non-Contact Adhesion Pads for Robotics Applications. Funding: FRST PreSeed Accelerator Fund (PSAF), Powerhouse Ventures (2010-2011)
Honors & Awards
· Forest Owners Association (New Zealand) Award “Innovation that enhances sector value” (2015)
· Tech Jumpstart Award for “Powered Assistive Exoskeleton”, Kiwi Innovation Network. (2012)
· Ministry of Science and Technology HI-Tech Start-Up Excellence Award to Invert Robotics, a spin-off for commercialising the patented technology “Wall Climbing Robot”. (2012)
· Best Paper Award for Shamsudin, S.S., Chen, X.Q., Wang, W.H., Hann, C.E., Chase, J.G., “Neural Networks Based System Identification for an Unmanned Helicopter System”, The Fourth Asia International Symposium on Mechatronics (AISM 2010), Singapore, 15-18 Dec. 2010.
· ION GNSS 2009 Best Presentation Award in Unmanned and Autonomous Vehicles for the paper: Pinchin, J., Park, D., and Chen, X.Q. “GNSS Attitude Determination on a Mini-UAV Aided by a Platform Dynamics Model”. (2009)
· Entré Bright Idea Entrepreneurship Award (New Zealand Trade & Enterprise, Canterbury Development Corporation, and PricewaterhouseCoopers) for the invention “non-contact adhesion for wall climbing robot”. (2009)
· Best Paper Award for the paper: Chase, J.G., Mulligan, K.J., Mander, J.B., Rodgers, G.W., Chen, X.Q. “Re-shaping semi-active structural response via simple applications of embedded computation, sensors, valves”, In the Third ASME/IEEE International Conference on Mechatronic, Embedded Systems, Applications, ASME DETC2007, September 4-7, 2007, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
Singapore National Technology A