Name: Chuanliang FENG
Office: Room 533, Material Building D
Platform: Institute of Composite Materials
Chirality is one of life’s most distinctive biochemical signatures and has great influence on many biological events, e.g. maintaining normal functions for living cells. It reveals that cells can sense surface chiral molecules to show differential behaviors on enantiomorphous surfaces. With the rational design of chemical composition and molecular structures, a novel type of surpramolecular gelators were developed in our group, which can efficiently self-assemble into two or three dimensional chiral microstructures, showing a big potential as biomimetic scaffold for multi-dimensional cell culture. With variation of physical or chemical properties, the chiral structures with the varied surface composition, mechanical strength, and surface wettability can be constructed and chirality regulated cell adhesion can be obtained in 3D. It paves a way to explore the influence of chiraity of nanostructures on cell behaviors cell culture in 3D chiral environments and these chiral materials have potential application in the field of tissue engineering.
Prof. Dr. Chuanliang Feng received Doctor Degree from University of Twente (the Netherlands) in 2005. After this, he was awarded Max-Planck Society Scholarship to work at Max-Planck Institute for Polymer Research in Mainz. From 1998 to July 2009, he was appointed as a research scientist in Biomade Technology Foundation (Groningen, the Netherlands). In Aug. 2009, he moved to Shanghai Jiaotong University as a full professor in School of Material Sciences and Technology. He was supported by Program for New Century Excellent Talents in University, Program for Shanghai Pujiang Excellent Talents, and Program for Professor of Special Appointment (Eastern Scholar) at Shanghai Institutions of Higher Learning. His research mainly focuses on Chiral biomaterials, polymeric materials, supramolecular hydrogels. Important topics are synthesis and characterization of chiral supramolecular hydrogels and biomimetic materials as well as applications of biomaterials in Regenerative Medicine. He has published more than 120 papers, including Acc. Chem. Res., J. Am. Chem. Soc., Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., Adv. Mater. and so on. He has more than 20 patents. He is guest editor of European Polymer Journal, and editorial member of Advance Hybrid and Composite Materials. Recently, he has been awarded Richard Robert Ernst during PolyChar 2019 international conference due to his innovation contribution on supramolecular chemistry.
1. The design and synthesis of novel polymer or supramolecular hydrogels
2. Chiral biomaterials
3. Three dimensional tissue engineering materials
4. The visualization of cell-matrix interaction in three dimension
1. Xiaoqiu Dou, Nabila Mehwish, Changli Zhao, Jinying Liu, Chao Xing, Chuanliang Feng,* Supramolecular Hydrogels with Tunable Chirality for Promising Biomedical Applications, Account of Chemical Research 2020, http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ acs.accounts.0c00012
2. Ka Young Kim, Jaehyeong Kim, Cheol Joo Moon, Jinying Liu, Shim Sung Lee, Myong Yong Choi,* Chuanliang Feng,* and Jong Hwa Jung*, Co-Assembled Supramolecular Nanostructure of Platinum(II) Complex through Helical Ribbon to Helical Tubes with Helical Inversion, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2019, 10.1002/anie.201905472.
3. Fang Wang, Wei Ji, Peng Yang, Chuanliang Feng*, Inversion of Circularly Polarized Luminescence of Nanofibrous Hydrogels through Coassembly with Achiral Coumarin Derivatives, ACS Nano 2019, 13, 7281-7290.
4. Yan Wei, Shengjie Jiang, Mengting Si, Xuehui Zhang, Jinying Liu, Zheng Wang, Cen Cao, Jianyong Huang, Houbing Huang, Lili Chen, Shutao Wang, Chuanliang Feng*, Xuliang Deng*, Lei Jiang, Chirality controls mesenchymal stem cell lineage diversification through mechanoresponses, Adv. Mater. 2019, 31,1900582.
5. Nabila Mehwish, Xiaoqiu Dou, Yong Zhao*, Chuan-Liang Feng,* Supramolecular fluorescent hydrogelators as bio-imaging probes, Mater. Horiz. 2019, 6(1), 14-44.
6. Jinying Liu, Feng Yuan, Xiaoyu Ma, Auphedeous Y.Dang-i, Changli Zhao, Chuntai Liu, Changyu Shen, Chuanliang Feng*. The Cooperative Effect of both Molecular and Supramolecular Chirality on Cell Adhesion, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2018, 57(22), 6475-6479.
7. Fang Wang, Chuanliang Feng*. Metal-Ion-Mediated Supramolecular Chirality of L-Phenylalanine Based Hydrogels, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2018, 57(20), 5655-5659.
8. Xiaoqiu Dou, Chuanliang Feng*. Amino Acids and Peptide-Based Supramolecular Hydrogels for Three-Dimensional Cell Culture, Adv. Mater. 2017, 29(16), 1604062.
9. Heekyoung Choi, Kang Jin Cho, Hyowon Seo, Junho Ahn, Jinying Liu, Shim Sung Lee, Hyungjun Kim*, Chuanliang Feng*, Jong Hwa Jung*, Transfer and Dynamic Inversion of Coassembled Supramolecular Chirality through 2D-Sheet to Rolled-Up Tubular Structure, J. Am. Chem. Soc.2017, 139(49), 17711-17714.
10. Guofeng Liu, Jinying Liu, Chuanliang Feng,* Yanli Zhao*. Unexpected right-handed helical nanostructures co-assembled from L-phenylalanine derivatives and achiral bipyridines. Chem. Sci, 2017, 8(3), 1769-1775.
11. Guo-Feng Liu, Ling-Yun Zhu, Wei Ji, Chuan-Liang Feng,* Zhi-Xiang Wei, Inversion of the Supramolecular Chirality of Nanofibrous Structures through Co-Assembly with Achiral Molecules, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2016, 55(7),2411-2415.
12. Xiaoqiu Dou, Di Zhang*, Chuanliang Feng,* Lei Jiang. Bioinspired Hierarchical Surface Structures with Tunable Wettability for Regulating Bacteria Adhesion, ACS Nano.2015, 9(11), 10664.
13. Guofeng Liu, Di Zhang, Chuanliang Feng*, Control of Three-Dimensional Cell Adhesion by the Chirality of Nanofibers in Hydrogels, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2014, 53(30), 7789-7793.
14. Wang Fang, Feng Chuanliang*. Stoichiometry-Controlled Inversion of Supramolecular Chirality of Nanostructures Co-assembled with Bipyridines, Chemistry - A European Journal. 2018, 24(7), 1509-1513.
- 2019-2022 State Key Program of National Natural Science Foundation of China, The biomimetic constructions of chiral surpramolecules hydrogels and their application.
- 2017-2022 Innovation Key Program of Shanghai Municipal Education Commission, Biomimetic chiral supramolecules hydrogel
- 2015-2017 Joint international project between University of Michigan Office of the Vice President for Research and Shanghai Jiao Tong University, nanostructured substrates for elucidating inflammatory response in health and disease.
- 2016-2019 National Natural Science Foundation of China, the nanofiber’s chirality controlled three dimensional cell adhesion
- 2012-2016 Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology project, the self assembly and preparation of biomimetic adhesion materials.
- 2013-2016 National Natural Science Foundation of China, bioinspired structures of DNA detection
- 2012-2015 National Natural Science Foundation of China, Novel amino acid based supramolecular hydrogels as extracellular matrix
- 2011-2013 Chinese Education Ministry project, Low molecular gelators for cell controllable adhesion
- 2011-2013 The returned funds of Chinese Education Ministry project, The design and synthesis of nanofibrous materials as biomimetic collagen.
- 2010-2012 Shanghai Science and Technology project, Supramoleclar structures as biomimetic scaffolds
- 2010-2012 Shanghai Jiaotong Medical/Engineering project, The hydrogels as three dimensional matrix
- 2009-2012 Project of new Century Excellent Talents in University.
- 2010-2013 Project of Special Appointment (Eastern Scholar) at Shanghai Institutions of Higher Learning.
- 2014-2017 Project of new followed up program for Professor of Special Appointment (Eastern Scholar) at Shanghai Institutions of Higher Learning
2010-2013 Project of Shanghai Pujiang Excellent Talents in University
Honors & Awards
- 2019 “Richard Robert Ernst” International Polymer Awards
- 2009 New Century Excellent Talents in University.
- 2010 Professor of Special Appointment (Eastern Scholar) at Shanghai Institutions of Higher Learning.
- 2014 The new followed up program for Professor of Special Appointment (Eastern Scholar) at Shanghai Institutions of Higher Learning
- 2010 Shanghai Pujiang Excellent Talents in University
- 2018 The 3rd lever “Jiaoshu Yuren” award in Shanghai Jiaotong University
- 2015 The first level teaching award of Shanghai Jiaotong University
- 2014 The excellent class adviser awards for bachelor education in Shanghai Jiaotong University
- 2015 The excellent class adviser awards for bachelor education in Faculty of Materials Science and Engineering, Shanghai Jiaotong University
- 2014 The excellent class adviser awards for bachelor education in Faculty of Materials Science and Engineering, Shanghai Jiaotong University
- 2014 Top 10 “Kai Yuan” teacher in Shanghai Jiaotong University
- 2014 The Yokoyama Ryoji award for excellent research in Shanghai Jiaotong University
- 2012 English Teaching Award for young teacher in Shanghai Jiaotong University
2013 Qianjiang excellent Scholar from Zhejiang province