Name: Guangyin YUAN
Office: Room 205, Material Building B
Platform: Light Alloy Net Forming National Engineering Research Center
Dr. Guangyin Yuan is a tenured professor of School of Materials Science and Engineering at Shanghai Jiao Tong University. Dr. Yuan received his Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering from Southeast University, China in 1999. He then did his postdoctoral research at Shanghai Jiao Tong University and focused on the development of heat-resistant magnesium alloys for automobile powertrain applications. He was promoted to associate professor in Shanghai Jiao Tong University in 2002. Then he went to Tohoku University, Japan, and worked as a JSPS researcher from 2002 to 2004, where he focused on the study of bulk metallic glasses and advanced magnesium alloys reinforced with in-situ quasicrystals. He was promoted to professor in 2008 and tenured professor in 2016, respectively. His research fields are mainly involved in the design of advanced materials and correlation between the microstructure and properties of metallic materials, and in recent ten years his research focused on the research and development of novel biodegradable metals (Mg、Zn、Fe-based) alloys for medical applications. He has published over 120 journal papers in international journals and owns 20 patents including 16 patents related to biomaterials and related medical devices.
1) Development of novel biodegradable metal (Mg、Zn、Fe-based materials) with high strength and ductility and excellent biocompatibility.
2) Biocompatibility evaluation of materials;
3) Surface functional-treatment of biomaterials;
4) Design and preparation of biomedical devices, such as cardiovascular stent & bone implants etc.
1. Zhe Wang, Xinyuan Wang, Yuan Tian, Jia Pei, Jian Zhang, Chang Jiang, Junming Huang, Zhiying Pang, Yuanwu Cao, Xiuhui Wang, Senbo An, Xiao Wang, Hua Huang***, Guangyin Yuan**, Zuoqin Yan*, Degradation and Osteogenic Induction of a SrHPO4-coated Mg–Nd–Zn–Zr Alloy Intramedullary Nail in a Rat Femoral Shaft Fracture Model, Biomaterials, 2020, in press.
2. L Jin, CX Chen, GZ Jia, YT Li, J Zhang, H Huang, B Kang, GY Yuan*, H Zeng*, TX Chen*, The bioeffects of degradable products derived from a biodegradable Mg-based alloy in macrophages via heterophagy, Acta Biomater, 106(2020)428-438.
3. Yinchuan Wanga,b,1, Penghuai Fua,b,1, Nanqing Wanga,b, Liming Penga,b, Bin Kangc, Hui Zengc,*, Guangyin Yuana,b,*, Wenjiang Dinga,b ，Challenges and Solutions for Additive Manufacturing of Biodegradable Magnesium Implants， Engineering，2020, in press.
4. Wei Wang, Gaozhi Jia, Qing Wang, Hua Huang, Xiaolin Li, Hui Zeng, Wenjiang Ding, Frank Witte, Changqing Zhang*, Weitao Jia*, Guangyin Yuan*, The in vitro and in vivo biological effects and osteogenic activity of novel biodegradable porous Mg alloy scaffolds, Materials and Design, 2020, Vol189,Paper Num:108514
5. Chenxin Chen, Jiahui Chen, Wei Wu, Yongjuan Shi, Liang Jin, Lorenza Petrini, Li Shen, Guangyin Yuan*, Wenjiang Ding, Junbo Ge, Elazer R. Edelman, Francesco Migliavacca*, In vivo and in vitro evaluation of a biodegradable magnesium vascular stent designed by shape optimization strategy, Biomaterials 221 (2019) 119414
6. Liang Jin, Chenxin Chen, Yutong Li, Feng Yuan, Ruolan Gong, Jing Wu,Hua Zhang, Bin Kang, Guangyin Yuan*, Hui Zeng* and Tongxin Chen*，A Biodegradable Mg-Based Alloy Inhibited the Inflammatory Response of THP-1 Cell-Derived Macrophages Through the TRPM7–PI3K–AKT1 Signaling Axis，Frontiers in Immunology，2019, Vol 10 Article Num: 2798
7. Jian Zhang, Haiyang Li, Wu Wang，Hua Huang, Jia Pei, Haiyun Qu，Guangyin Yuan*, Yongdong Li*, The degradation and transport mechanism of a Mg-Nd-Zn-Zr stent in rabbit common carotid artery: a 20-month study, Acta Biomaterialia, 69(2018)372-384.
8. Guoyuan Li, Lei Zhang, Lei Wang, Guangyin Yuan, Kerong Dai, Jia Pei*, Yongqiang Hao*, Dual modulation of bone formation and resorption with zoledronic acidloaded biodegradable magnesium alloy implants improves osteoporotic fracture healing: An in vitro and in vivo study, Acta Biomater. 65（2018）486-500
9. Chenxin Chen,Jinyun Tan, Wei Wu, Lorenza Petrini, Lei Zhang, Yongjuan Shi, Emanuele Cattarinuzzi, Jia Pei, Hua Huang, Wenjiang Ding, Guangyin Yuan,* Francesco Migliavacca*，Modeling and experimental studies of coating delamination of biodegradable magnesium alloy cardiovascular stents，ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering，4(11),2018 pp. 3864-3873
10. Gaozhi Jia, Chenxin Chen, Jian, Zhang, Bérengère J.C. Luthringer - Feyerabend, Regine Willumeit-Roemer, Hua Zhang, Meiping Xiong*, Hua Huang*, Guangyin Yuan* Frank Feyerabend*, In vitro degradation behavior of Mg scaffolds with three-dimensional interconnected porous structures for bone tissue engineering，Corrosion Science，144（2018）301-312.
11. Y Hou, G Jia, R Yue, C Chen, J Pei, H Zhang, H Huang*, M Xiong, GY Yuan*, Synthesis of biodegradable Zn-based scaffolds using NaCl templates: Relationship between porosity, compressive properties and degradation behavior, Materials Characterization 137(2018), 162-169
12. Gaozhi Jia, Yi Hou, Chenxin Chen, Jialin, Niu, Hua Huang,*, Meiping Xiong, Guangyin Yuan* ，Precise fabrication of open porous Mg scaffolds using NaCl templates: relationship between space holder particles, pore characteristics and mechanical behavior，Materials & Design，140(2018) 106-113
13. XiangdongKong, LeiWang, GuoyuanLi, XinhuaQu, JialinNiu, Kerong Dai, Guangyin Yuan*, Yongqiang Hao*，Mg-based bone implants show promising osteoinductivity and controllable degradation: A long-term study in a goat femoral condyle fracture model，Materials Science & Engineering C.86（2018）42-47
14. Rui Yue, Hua Huang, Guizhou Ke, Hua Zhang, Jia Pei, Jingmin Ou, Guangyin Yuan*，Microstructure, mechanical properties and in vitro degradation behavior of novel Zn-Cu-Fe alloys，Materials Characterization，2017，134，pp114-122.
15. Zibo Tang, Jialin Niu, Hua Huang*, Hua Zhang, Jia Pei, Jingmin Ou, Guangyin Yuan*, Potential biodegradable Zn-Cu binary alloys developed for cardiovascular implant applications, J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2017;72:182-91
16. Zibo Tang, Hua Huang*, Jialin Niu, Lei Zhang, Hua Zhang, Jia Pei, Jinyun Tan, Guangyin Yuan*, Design and characterizations of novel biodegradable Zn-Cu-Mg alloys for potential biodegradable implants, Materials and Design, 2017;117:84-94
17. Lin Mao, Li Shen, Jiahui Chen, Xiaobo Zhang, Minsuk Kwak, Yu Wu, Rong Fan, Lei Zhang, Jia Pei, Guangyin Yuan*, Chengli Song*, Junbo Ge, Wenjiang Ding, A promising biodegradable magnesium alloy suitable for clinical vascular stent application，Scientific Reports, 2017,7, 46343.
18. Lei Zhang, Jia Pei*，Haodong Wang, Yongjuan Shi, Jialin Niu, Feng Yuan, Hua Huang, Hua Zhang, Guangyin Yuan*, A facile preparation of poly(lactic acid)/brushite bi-layer coating on biodegradable magnesium alloys with multiple functionalities for orthopedic application, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2017, 9(11): 9437-9448.
19. Yongjuan Shi, Jia Pei*, Lei Zhang, Byung Kook Lee, Yeonhee Yun, Jian Zhang, Zhonghua Li, Song Gu, Kinam Park, Guangyin Yuan*, Understanding the effect of magnesium degradation on drug release and anti-proliferation on smooth muscle cells for magnesium-based drug eluting stents, Corrosion Science, 2017，123:297-309.
20. Jian Zhang, Sachiko Hiromoto*, Tomohiko Yamazaki, Hua Huang, Gaozhi Jia, Haiyan Li, Guangyin Yuan*, Macrophage phagocytosis of biomedical Mg alloy degradation products prepared by electrochemical method, Materials Science & Engineering C. 75 (2017) 1178–1183.
21. Jialin Niu , Meiping Xiong, Xingmin Guan, Jian Zhang, Hua Huang, Jia Pei, Guangyin Yuan* ,The in vivo degradation and bone-implant interface of Mg-Nd-Zn-Zr alloy screws: 18 months post-operation results, Corrosion Science, 113(2016):183-187.
22. Wu Wang, Yong-Li Wang, Mo Chen, Liang Chen, Jian Zhang, Yong-Dong Li*, Ming-Hua Li*, Guang-yin Yuan*, Magnesium alloy covered stent for treatment of a lateral aneurysm model in rabbit common carotid artery: An in vivo study, Scientific Reports 2016,6,37401
23. Wenting Li, Nan Li, Yufeng Zheng*, Guangyin Yuan*, Fretting properties of biodegradable Mg-Nd-Zn-Zr alloy in air and in Hank’s solution, Scientific Reports 2016, 6, 35803.
24. Hui Qin, Yaochao Zhao, Zhiquan An, Mengqi Cheng, Qi Wang, Tao Cheng, Qiaojie Wang, Jiaxing Wang, Yao Jiang*, Xianlong Zhang*, Guangyin Yuan*, Enhanced antibacterial properties, biocompatibility, and corrosion resistance of degradable Mg-Nd-Zn-Zr alloy, Biomaterials, 53(2015)211-220.
25. L Mao, L Shen, J.H. Chen, Y Wu, M Kwak, Y Lu, Q Xue, J Pei, L Zhang, GY Yuan*, R Fan*, J.B. Ge, W.J. Ding, Enhanced bioactivity of Mg-Nd-Zn-Zr alloy achieved with nanoscale MgF2 surface for vascular stent application, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2015,7，5320-5330
26. Fei Liu, Chenxin Chen, Jialin Niu, Jia Pei, Hua Zhang, Hua Huang, Guangyin Yuan*, The processing of Mg alloy micro-tubes for biodegradable vascular stents, Materials Science & Enginnering. C, 2015, 48: 400-407.
27. Yuan Tian, Hua Huang, Guangyin Yuan*, Wenjiang Ding, Microstructure evolution and mechanical properties of quasicrystal-reinforced Mg-Zn-Gd alloy processed by cyclic extrusion and compression, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 626(2015), pp. 42-48
28. XM Guan, MP Xiong, FY Zeng, B Xu, LD Yang, H Guo, JL Niu, J Zhang, CX Chen, J Pei, H Huang, GY Yuan*，The enhancement of osteogenesis and biodegradation control by brushite coating on Mg-Nd-Zn-Zr alloy for mandibular bone repair, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2014, 6, 21525-21533.
29. J.Zhang, N Kong, YJ Shi, JL Niu, L Mao, HY Li, MP Xiong, GY Yuan*, Influence of proteins and cells on in vitro corrosion of Mg–Nd–Zn–Zr alloy, Corrosion Science, 85(2014)477-481.
30. Hua Huang, Yuan Tian, Guangyin Yuan*, Chunlin Chen, Wenjiang Ding, and Zhongchang Wang, Formation Mechanism of Quasicrystals at Nanoscale during Hot Compression of Mg Alloys, Scripta Materialia, 2014, 78-79: 61-64.
31. L.Mao, L.Shen, J.L.Niu,, J.Zhang, W.J.Ding, Y.Wu, R.Fan*, GY.Yuan*, Nanophasic biodegradation enhances the durability and biocompatibility of magnesium alloys for the next-generation vascular stents, Nanoscale, 5(20), 2013, p.9517-22
32. Jialin Niu , Guangyin Yuan*, Yi Liao , Lin Mao, Jian Zhang, Yong ping Wang, Feng Huang, Yao Jiang, Yaohua He, Wenjiang Ding, Enhanced biocorrosion resistance and biocompatibility of degradable Mg-Nd-Zn-Zr alloy by brushite coating, Materials Science & Engineering C., 2013, 33(8): 4833-4841
1. The National Key Research and Development Program of China (2018YFE0115400): Research and Development of New biodegradable Zinc-based Vascular Stent and Its Fundamental Research on Clinical Applications, 2019.11-2022.10.
2. National Nature Science Foundation of China (No.: 51571143): Preparation of porous magnesium alloy bone tissue engineering scaffolds and the study of its biodegradation and bone response mechanism, 2016.1-2019.12.
3. Major fundamental research project of Shanghai Science and Technology Commission(Grant No.:11DJ1400301): Fundamental research of related major issues about degradable Mg-based bone implants, 2012.1-2015.12.
4. National Key Technology R&D Program of the Ministry of Science and Technology (2012BAI18B01): Biodegradable Mg-based stent, 2012.1-2015.12.
Honors & Awards
1. Winner of “Education Ministry's New Century Excellent Talents Supporting Plan”, awarded by Ministry of Education of the P. R. China in 2007.
2. Winner of “Outstanding Academic Leaders in Shanghai” awarded by the Shanghai Municipal Commission of Science and Technology in 2017.
3. Selected as the Vice President of Medical Metal Branch of Chinese Biomaterials Society in 2019.11.
1. Guangyin Yuan, Biodegradable open-celled magnesium scaffold for bone tissue engineering, 7th Symposium on Biodegradable Metals for Biomedical Applications, Aug.23-28,2015, Carivigno, Italy ( the Best Poster Award)
2. Guangyin Yuan, Formation Range of Icosahedral Phase of Mg-Zn-Gd System in the Mg-rich Corner, 2nd Asian Symposium on Magnesium Alloys(ASMA-II), Oct.1-3, 2007, Fukuoka, Japan (Best Poster Award)
3. Wenjiang Ding, Chen Lu, Guangyin Yuan, et al, Development of Advanced Heat-resistant Magnesium Alloys and Their Applications in Autobomile, The First Prize of Shanghai Municipality Technique Invention Awards,2007 （10 awardees in all）
4. Song Gu, Guangyin Yuan, Biodegradable the infant magnesium alloy esophagus stent, The 28th Shanghai excellent invention selection competition outstanding invention gold medal, Awarded by Shanghai Municipal intellectual property Office, etc., 2017.